Talks & Tutorials
Here is a sample collection of talks I gave over time, representing my past and current work. Information on WSN programming tutorials I have been giving are also included.
"Meet the Tower that Breathes!": the talk I gave
the Cor Baayen Award ceremony when receiving the
prize, in November 2011 at the ERCIM Gala Dinner in
Berlin - available on
- "Developing Software for the Internet of Things: Challenges and Opportunities": an invited talk on the issues in developing and building IoT software I gave in September 2011 at the ERC Workshop on Software Quality in Venice - available on
- "Bullet-proof Software Development for Networked Embedded Systems: Dream or (Future) Reality?": a lecture on static verification of networked embedded system software I gave in July 2011 at the 3rd CONET summer school in Bertinoro "Networked Embedded Systems: Humans in the Loop" - available on
- "Programming WSNs: From Great Duck Island to Enterprise Integration": a short talk I gave at the 2011 SICS Open House event, describing a perspective on the evolution of WSN software development - available on
Moreover, along with Gian Pietro Picco, I prepared an extensive tutorial on programming WSNs largely based on my Ph.D. thesis. We presented the tutorial in different versions at a number of venues, including:
- The 33rd SIGPLAN International Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI), held in in Beijing (China) in 2012. PLDI was also co-located with ECOOP, LCTES and ISMM.
held in Stockholm (Sweden) in April 2010. CPSWEEK brought together
five leading conferences - HSCC, ICCPS, IPSN, LCTES, and RTAS - on the research and development of
Attendees at the CPSWEEK10 tutorial.
- The 1st International School on Cyber-Physical and Sensor Networks held in Monastir (Tunisia) in December 2009.
- The 6th European
Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks (EWSN) held in Cork
(Ireland) in February 2009. The tutorial was half-day with live
demonstrations and different WSN technologies shown during the
During the tutorial at EWSN09.
- The 7th ACM/USENIX International Middleware
Conference held in Leuven (Belgium) in December 2008. The
tutorial was full-day, with a theory part in the morning and a
hands-on session in the afternoon where we gave the attendees real
WSN nodes to experiment.
Explaining the main topic at Middleware08.
Attendees experiment with WSN devices.
The GII doctoral school in Computer Engineering held
in L'Aquila (Italy) in September 2008. Here the tutorial was part of
the lectures on "Boosting Services and Information in Adaptive
During the tutorial at the GII doctoral school.
© 2006-2012 Luca Mottola | Last updated: June 18th, 2012 | Design by Andreas Viklund