Mats Carlsson, Ph.D., Docent
: SICS Swedish ICT AB, c/o Department of Information Technology, Box 338, SE-751 05 Uppsala, Sweden
SICS AB, Uppsala Science Park, SE-751 83 Uppsala, Sweden
: Lägerhyddsvägen 2, 752 37 Uppsala
: +46 70 264 7180
Born in 1956. Married, with four children.
B.Sc. in Computer Science, ~1981, Uppsala University;
Ph.D. in Computer Systems, 1990, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm;
Docent in Computing Science, 2009, Uppsala University.
Joined SICS in 1985, where I lead the CPS
Awarded (with ISL) Chester Carlson's Forskningspris, 1991.
My research activities include:
- engineering of sequential and OR-parallel Prolog systems,
including SICStus Prolog
- engineering of finite domain constraint solvers
- engineering of algorithms for global constraints
- applications of constraint programming
I run the Combinatorial Problem Solving and Prolog research area. I am
the principal author of SICStus Prolog. I am site contact of the
SICS Uppsala branch. My Erdős number is 4 (or less).
My professional training includes Russian. From time to time I
perform interpreter or translator functions on a free-lance basis.
Software and Projects
- Designer and main implementer of SICStus Prolog
and its finite domain constraint solver.
- Applications of constraint program in the areas of frequency
planning, system verification, scheduling for steel industry,
firmware optimization, crew scheduling, gene expression analysis,
DNA sequence analysis, sports scheduling, and code generation.
- My current main activity is the UNISON project.
Recent Graduate Students
- Björn Carlson
- Greger Ottosson
- M. Carlsson. Constraint programming for Packing Problems.
Docent lecture, February 9, 2009
- M. Carlsson. Filtering Algorithms for Global Constraints.
Invited talk, FJCP2005, November 14, 2005
- M. Carlsson and N. Beldiceanu. Dispensation Order Generation for Pyrosequencing.
Talk at SweConsNet meeting, March 7, 2005
- M. Carlsson. Trolleri med villkorsprogrammering.
Talk at SICS Open House, May 9, 2003
(PowerPoint slides, in Swedish)
- M. Carlsson and N. Beldiceanu. Revisiting Lexicographic Ordering Constraints.
Talk at SweConsNet Meeting, Feb. 25, 2003
- M. Carlsson and C. Schulte. Finite Domain Constraint Programming Systems.
Tutorial at CP'2002, Int. Conf. on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, 2002.
- M. Carlsson. Finite Domain Constraints in SICStus Prolog.
CICLOPS Workshop at CP'2001, Int. Conf. on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, 2001. Invited talk.
- Mathematical modeling of combinatorial auctions
- Dispensation Order Generator for DNA Sequencing
- Trading Agent Competition
- A case study on airport crew rostering
- Using the case global constraint for configuration problems
- Optimization methods for configuration problems
(SICS Technical Report T99-04)
- Frequency planning for cellular telephone networks
- Optimization of print mask design for inkjet printers
- Verification and optimization using constraints and logic
- Nicolas Beldiceanu, Ph.D., Docent
- Magnus Rattfeldt, Ph.D.
- Per Danielsson